Hull vs. Liability: What’s the Difference and Why You Need Both for Your Ag Drone

Agricultural drones are amazing tools, but they also come with potential risks. That’s why specialized drone insurance is a must for any farmer using this technology. Two of the most important coverage types are hull insurance and liability insurance. Let’s break down the differences and why you likely need both.

Hull Insurance: Protecting Your Investment

Think of hull insurance as similar to the collision or comprehensive coverage on your car. It covers the physical drone itself in these scenarios:

  • Crashes: Damage from accidents or pilot error.
  • Weather events: Damage from hail, lightning, wind, etc.
  • Theft or vandalism: Protection if your drone is stolen.
  • Malfunctions: Sometimes covers electrical or mechanical failures.

Liability Insurance: Protecting Others (and Yourself)

Liability insurance is what protects you financially if your drone causes damage to another person’s property or if someone is injured during your drone operations. This might include:

  • Property damage: If your drone crashes into a neighbor’s barn.
  • Bodily injury: If your drone injures a farmworker or bystander.
  • Pesticide drift: Liability if the chemicals you’re spraying damage neighboring crops.

Why You Need Both

Imagine a scenario where your drone malfunctions and crashes into a neighbor’s tractor. Here’s how both types of coverage help:

  • Hull Insurance: Pays to repair or replace your damaged drone.
  • Liability Insurance: Covers the cost of fixing the neighbor’s tractor and any medical bills if they’re hurt.

Choosing the Right Coverage

Talk to the experts at VT Insurance Agency! We can help you understand policy details and choose limits that fit your specific agricultural operations and risk tolerance.

Don’t Take a Chance – Get Protected!

Drone insurance is an investment in the future of your farm. Contact VT Insurance today for a personalized quote!


Authored by Vaughn Tolbert